The Red Fence Gallery
CALL FOR ART for THE RED FENCE GALLERY! Stipend of $300 + up to $100 for materials. Deadline to apply is 9/30/2021 at 5pm.
Beverly Main Streets seeks submissions from artists to install a mural or multi-dimensional piece of art at the Red Fence Gallery. The Gallery is located outdoors on a piece of red fence between Atomic Café (268 Cabot Street) and the Lindsey Building (266 Cabot Street). The fence is approximately 5’ x 4’ and we encourage you to visit it before you submit your application.
The goals of the Red Fence Gallery are to showcase artists in a high-traffic area, to add to the public art scene in Beverly and to entertain visitors to downtown Beverly. The Gallery was launched in 2016 and has had 12 installations to date, eleven of which were paintings done right on the fence and one which was created offsite, framed and hung on the fence.
Special note: this next installation will follow a meaningful and uplifting Black Lives Matter mural that was up for over a year. We are sensitive to the fact that this has been the most public BLM message visible within the city, and your installation will cover it up. We have had banners made of the mural image (with permission of the artist) which will be hung downtown in a rotation of locations for at least 1 year. Preference for this next image will be given to something lighthearted and interactive (think – a fresh take on some popular selfie images like the lion with a leash that people can pose holding, angel wings where the person becomes the angel’s body, etc – but something of your own creation). If that’s not your thing, give us something else that’s light and fun!
Applications are due by 5pm on Thursday, September 30, 2021
- A stipend of $300 plus reimbursement for up to $100 in materials cost will be paid after installation
- Artists will be selected by a jury created by the Beverly Arts District (BAD)
- This installation will last from October to April
- Design must incorporate or leave bare details of the fence (color, shape, etc); see examples below
- BAD will promote each installation with a plaque installed on the fence, promotion on social media and when feasible, a ribbon cutting and/or opening reception
- Artists agree to install the same artwork that they submit for consideration
- Artist is responsible for any damage to the fence and/or sidewalk in front of the fence
- All materials must be able to withstand normal weather conditions
- Artists must leave the fence in the same condition it was when work began
- Artists must comply with any covid or other public health requirements
LGBTQIA+ identified persons, people of color, and others from historically underrepresented communities are encouraged to submit applications.
Artists must submit:
- Online application with the following attachment
- Either: one full color sketch to scale or 1 high resolution image of the work you plan to install in .jpg, .png or .pdf format using this file name structure: Red Fence YourLastName (ex: Red Fence Wallace)
Only submissions which follow the above guidelines will be reviewed