BEVERLY MAIN STREETS SEEKS EXECUTIVE DIRECTOR
Beverly Main Streets (BMS) is seeking a new Executive Director (ED). We’re looking for the candidate who has the passion to be a tireless advocate for the downtown; the personality to work effectively with a wide variety of people; the aptitude to become an authority on information, resources and programs related to revitalization efforts; the flexibility to continually move forward on the organization’s objectives while being able to address business owners’ concerns; the ability to multi-task like a circus juggler; and the fortitude and patience to not be in control of the speed and responsiveness of others when you want to make something happen right now!
Want to work in a popular seaside and historic community just north of Boston, with easy access by commuter rail or highway, with an Arts District, 2 colleges, several performance venues, a destination restaurant scene, 4 taprooms, a board game café and unique retail businesses?
Want to never once be bored at work?
You’ll quickly become a leader in the Beverly (MA) community due to the visibility, prominence and significant economic development impact that Beverly Main Streets has made and continues to make in our downtown. Since 2010, working with our partners, we have attracted over $200,000,000 in private and public investment in our downtown. We have a newly-created neighborhood within a neighborhood with 400+ new housing units. We have just completed our Downtown 2020 Strategic Plan, and are now implementing our Downtown 2030 goals to continue in creating a safe, diverse, robust Downtown for all. Please see our website for details (www.bevmain.org).
The next 2 years will be critical in our downtown recovery so we need someone with enough experience to hit the ground running, preferably in at least two of these areas: economic development, business development, strategic planning, PR / communications, nonprofit management.
BEVERLY MAIN STREETS: BACKGROUND
The mission of Beverly Main Streets is to promote and enhance Beverly’s downtown economic vitality, cultural and historic resources, and quality of life for residents, businesses and visitors. We have over 250 independently-owned small businesses on 2 main parallel streets, Cabot St and Rantoul St, plus Park St, River St, and every side street in between. We are not a membership organization so every business with a downtown address is a part of BMS, and all of our programs, projects and events are available to all our businesses.
BMS is a 501c3 non-profit that was started in 2002. There is a full-time Executive Director responsible for implementing the strategic goals and objectives of the organization and has oversight of all activities, committees, events, partnerships, etc., and a Marketing Director whose job is to manage all of our events and maintain our social media networks and communications. We are governed by a Board of Directors which meets monthly. We have a volunteer army of 125+ locals who all chip in at various levels to help us do the work.
BMS follows the operating principles of Main Street America (https://www.mainstreet.org/home).
The Main Street Approach advocates a return to community self-reliance, local empowerment, and the rebuilding of traditional commercial districts based on their unique assets: distinctive architecture, a pedestrian-friendly environment, personal service, local ownership, and a sense of community. This is done through a simultaneous focus on economic development, marketing and promotion of the downtown itself and of individual businesses, design of the neighborhood, and a strong organizational and financial structure. Harnessing the efforts of local volunteers builds long-term success by fostering community involvement and commitment to a shared vision for the neighborhood. The BMS office is located in one of the Montserrat College of Art buildings in downtown Beverly.
EXECUTIVE DIRECTOR JOB DESCRIPTION:
The ED coordinates the operations and administration of the organization and acts as the “face of the organization.” The ED works closely with the Board of Directors and the Mayor’s Office in addition to overseeing the planning and implementation of the organization’s “Downtown 2030” strategic goals, calendar of events, assisting the Board and various committees, while keeping the organization in compliance with its by-laws, vision statement, and services contract with the City of Beverly. The ED and the Treasurer collaborate closely on projecting and maintaining accurate budget and healthy financials for the organization. The ED also supervises the office staff and volunteers.
• Strategic Planning and Partnerships — Supports the development and implementation of an overall strategic plan and vision for the organization with the Board and staff. Secures relationships with community partners and resources to help implement mission and vision and to enhance services.
• Fundraising — Collaborates with Board members to plan fundraising strategies; provides planning to support the annual budget, identify resource requirements, funding sources, and establishing relationships with potential donors. Responsible for submitting grant proposals, administrating fundraising records and documentation, and researching new strategies to increase the organization’s funding.
• Board Administration and Support — Supports operations and administration of the Board and its committees by advising and informing Board members, interfacing between Board and staff, and responding to Board’s yearly evaluation.
• Program, Event and Service Delivery — Oversees and supports the design, marketing, promotion, delivery and quality of programs, events, and business support services, including being on site at occasional events during evenings and weekends.
• Builds and establishes relationships with Downtown Businesses – Regularly communicates with downtown business leaders and retailers in support of the BMS mission. Develops programs designed to increase local businesses and diversify the business mix.
• Financial, Tax, Risk and Facilities Management — Working with the Board Treasurer, recommends annual budget for Board approval and prudently manages organization’s resources within those budget guidelines according to current laws and regulations and approved strategic priorities.
• Human Resource Management — Effectively leads and manages the human resources of the organization according to authorized human resources policies, strategic priorities, current laws and regulations.
• Community and Public Relations — Insures the organization and its mission, programs, and services are consistently presented in a strong, positive image to relevant stakeholders including business owners, elected officials, collaborative groups, funders, and volunteers.
• Proven ability to work as an effective team leader and builder, using exceptional communication skills
• Project a positive, professional public image
• Support the success of each staff, board and committee member, and embrace a collaborative learning environment with staff, board, volunteers and community partners
• Strong written and verbal communication skills, demonstrating skills in public speaking, community outreach and effective networking
• Embrace and utilize technology & social media platforms effectively
• Must be able to lift up to 30lbs.
• Bachelor’s Degree in business administration, marketing, public relations and communications or nonprofit management field or equivalent experience
• Minimum 3 years’ experience in a leadership/management role (accumulated experience must include broad fiscal and management responsibility and strong supervisory skill with an emphasis on effective team building and community outreach)
• Experience with a nonprofit organization preferred
• Main Street or District Management background preferred
• Event management experience preferred
• Demonstrated ability to work with a Board of Directors
• Must be able to implement strategic planning
• Technology savvy, including effectively using social media
• Demonstrated ability to work effectively with a variety of constituents and personality types
The preferred candidate will have extensive knowledge of nonprofit management principles and practices, and of contract administration. The individual has the ability to establish and motivate attainment of goals that further the organization’s mission and strategic priorities, and to coordinate the resources to attain those goals.
BMS provides a competitive salary, which include a generous paid time off and holiday schedule as well as professional development opportunities.
Minimum annual salary $65,000 with potential adjustments based on the candidate’s relevant experience.
CANDIDATE SUBMISSION PROCESS:
Qualified and interested candidates are invited to submit a resume and a cover letter with salary requirements, by August 22, 2021, with “BMS Exec Director Search” as the Subject, to: firstname.lastname@example.org applications will be reviewed as they are received. No phone calls please, candidates selected to be interviewed will be contacted by email.
Beverly Main Streets is an Equal Opportunity Employer and actively seeks a diverse staff that is reflective of the community it serves. Employment is based upon personal capabilities and qualifications without discrimination based on race, color, religion, creed, sex, sexual orientation, national origin, age, disability, marital status, veteran status, citizenship status, or any other protected characteristic as established by law.